Wildfire smoke and public health
I managed the development of nine evidence reviews in 2014: provided oversight and guidance about search strategy and scope for each review; convened an expert review committee for each topic; edited each review document.
- Exposure measures for wildfire smoke surveillance
- Filtration in institutional settings during wildfire smoke events
- Health surveillance for wildfire smoke events
- Home and community clean air shelters to protect public health during wildfire smoke events
- Reducing time outdoors during wildfire smoke events: advice to stay indoors, advice to reduce outdoor physical activity and cancelling outdoor events
- Use of evacuation to protect public health during wildfire smoke events
- Using masks to protect public health during wildfire smoke events
- Wildfire smoke and public health risk
I organized and facilitated an international working group meeting to guide the development of public health response guidelines based on these evidence reviews.
This work culminated in the development of the BC health wildfire smoke response coordination guideline (Government of BC, 2017).